Valtrex during 2 weeks after conception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valtrex during 2 weeks after conception

Hi, I am 38 years old and just found out I am pregnant. About a week after estimated conception, I came down with shingles on my scalp. I didn't know I was pregnant and was prescribed Valtrex at 1 gram twice a day (2 grams total a day) for 7 days. I took the medication for the 7 days and about a day after stopping it I discover I am pregnant. I am beside myself that I might have harmed this baby. I know it is pregnancy category B but I took a pretty high dose and the first trimester is so fragile! I am beyond worried....

Her2usa:

Good news. Re-activation of the chickenpox virus (shingles) virus during pregnancy is not associated with an increased risk of congenital varicella syndrome.[2] So I don't think you have anything to worry about concerning the chickenpox virus itself.

As for the Valtrex, studies don't show any risk of congenital anomalies associated with this drug.

So, I think you and your infant are in good shape. i'd quit worrying about this and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, as I don't think there is much if any chance of birth defects from either of these situations. Please remember however, that there is still a 3% risk of some birth anomaly in ANY pregnancy.

Good luck.

Tom Hale R.Ph. Ph.D.

2.Enders G, Miller E, Cradock-Watson J, Bolley I, Ridehalgh M. Consequences of varicella and herpes zoster in pregnancy: prospective study of 1739 cases. Lancet. 1994 Jun 18;343(8912):1548-51.

Comment

Working...
    X