Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Buspar ok to use in pregnancy?

Hi,

I just found out that I am 5-6 weeks pregnant. I was on Lorazepam (Ativan) and had to stop taking it cold turkey last week. Now I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms including severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have been getting these 2-3 times a day, and am having trouble just functioning. I was told that I could take Buspar in my last pregnancy, but decided not to do that. I am wondering if I can use this now to help ease my withdrawal symptoms from the Ativan and any anxiety I might deal with during the pregnancy? It seems to be rated a category B, but I cannot find much information beyond that. Any helpful information is appreciated.

Thanks

Toddler mommy,

Buspar (buspirone) is rated [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]P2-Benefits are likely to exceed risk. [/FONT][/COLOR]Limited clinical data suggest no increase in the risk of birth defects when using this drug. Animal studies in rats and rabbits, using doses approximating 30 times the recommended daily human dose, revealed no evidence of impaired fertility or toxicity to the fetus due to buspirone. Animal studies are not always predictive of human response. Remember that 1-3% of all pregnancies can result in a birth defect due to chance alone.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X