Vitamin K2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin K2

Hello, I'm looking for information on whether a vit K2 supplement is compatible with breastfeeding and if yes, what doses are safe for the infant. The mother has K2 deficiency due to Hashimoto's. Thank you!

Yrachovska:

At present I don't find any data on the transfer of this Vitamin K2 product into human milk. I would assume its similar if not identical to the absorption of Vitamin K1.

Vitamin K in breastmilk is normally low (<5-20 ng/mL), and most infants are born with low coagulation factors, 30-60% of normal. Although vitamin K is transferred to human milk, the amount may not be sufficient to prevent hemorrhagic disease of the newborn. Vitamin K requires the presence of bile and other factors for absorption, and neonatal absorption may be slow or delayed due to the lack of requisite gut factors.

Vitamin K2 (menaquinones, menatetrenone) is more orally bioavailable Vitamin K. It is derived from various foods including meat, eggs, dairy, and natto. There have been some suggestions that K2 may prevent osteoporosis.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

I have taken K2 for a long time. The only symptom it helped with was stopping me getting such awful heavy periods. It definitely helped a lot with that but didn't change anyting else at all.
      Eventually I stopped because it is a very expensive vitamin.
      BTW if you do decide to try it, I found the effect from various brands varied vastly - some are just useless and do nothing at all.

Comment

Working...
      X