Valium and Diclofenac sodium and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valium and Diclofenac sodium and breastfeeding

I have been exclusively feeding my 7 week old son. Recently I have injured my back badly and am taking 4mg Anxicalm TDS and 50mg Difene TDS. I'm giving my little boy formula and "pumping and dumping" until I'm finished the Medes. When is it safe to breast feed him again.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Clare Hickey,

Diclofenac is rated an L2-limited data probably compatible. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Reported levels in milk are probably far too low to affect an infant. Take it right after breastfeeding so you have a little break half the med is out in under 2 hours. Monitor your infant for vomiting and diarrhea, but it is unlikely.

Valium is rated an L3-limited data-probably ok. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.88-7.14% of your dose. The acute use such as in surgical procedures is not likely to lead to significant accumulation however, long-term, sustained therapy may prove troublesome as it has a half-life of 43 hours so could build up in your infant. Since your infant is younger I would suggest waiting 24 hours after your last dose to breastfeed. Monitor for s[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]edation, lethargy, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and apnea if your infant gets too sedated.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X