Midocalm (tolperisone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midocalm (tolperisone)

Hello, i am a physician and lactation consultant. There is a nursing mother, her child is 8 months. to treat, among other things, it should be 2.5 mg IM midocalm five days. I have read about midocalm, but have not found information, if it is safe for child, when breastfeeding continues

Hi, thanks for your post.

Dr. Hale and I have discussed this question. Midocalm (tolperisone, NK433) is a centrally-acting sodium channel inhibitor. There are no direct studies of this drug regarding its ability to pass into breastmilk. However, since the milk-producing cells in the breast form a barrier that is very similar to the blood-brain-barrier, we can assume that a drug that passes into the central nervous system will also pass into breastmilk. Tolperisone appears to exert its channel-blocking effect even in microgram quantities and has caused hypersensitivity reactions in some patients.

Because it is likely to be in the breastmilk and is potentially dangerous in small quantities, we recommend that the mother should NOT breastfeed while on this drug. The half-life of the medication is only 12 hours, so she should be able to resume breastfeeding on the day after her last injection.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Thank you very much for your so quick answer. This information is very important for me

Comment

Originally posted by admin-james View Post
        Hi, thanks for your post.

Dr. Hale and I have discussed this question. Midocalm (tolperisone, NK433) is a centrally-acting sodium channel inhibitor. There are no direct studies of this drug regarding its ability to pass into breastmilk. However, since the milk-producing cells in the breast form a barrier that is very similar to the blood-brain-barrier, we can assume that a drug that passes into the central nervous system will also pass into breastmilk. Tolperisone appears to exert its channel-blocking effect even in microgram quantities and has caused hypersensitivity reactions in some patients.

Because it is likely to be in the breastmilk and is potentially dangerous in small quantities, we recommend that the mother should NOT breastfeed while on this drug. The half-life of the medication is only 12 hours, so she should be able to resume breastfeeding on the day after her last injection.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD
        Thank you so much for your above answer.
        May I have a question about Mydocalm (Tolperisone) 50 mg oral tid? Please suggest, how I can manage breastfeeding during taking this medication.
        Thank you very much.

Comment

Lactation Clinic,

There is no data on this medication so we cannot advise on the safety of it, so we do not recommend breastfeeding while taking this medication. Sorry.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
          InfantRisk Center
          806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you so much Sandra. A mother who already took Mydocalm (Tolperisone) 50 mg oral, how long she can resume breastfeeding.
            Thank you

Comment

Working...
            X