"Spice"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Spice"

I am wondering if "Spice" that is smoked is compatable with breastfeeding. Is there any research?

Smoking Spice

This is impossible to answer. I guess it would depend on the type of spice the mother is using.

I'd suggest its not safe to do this without knowing a lot more about the product.

Sorry, I can't really help you.

Tom Hale PH.d.

Comment

What is "spice"

I will try and find out what is in "spice". I think that people smoke it to get a high, but I don't know any more about it.

Comment

My husband is a forensic chemist who analyzes drugs for the Oklahoma City police department. Many new "designer drugs" get made to try and skirt the laws that make it illegal. Pot is illegal in all 50 states. But spice, is illegal in 20-30 sme odd states. Spice is a synthetic chemical that is sprayed on various things, like oregano, then smoked similar to marijuana. They are highly variable in dosage, some are halucinogenic and all are a BAD IDEA FOR ANYONE, BUT ESPECIALLY A BREASTFEEDING MOTHER. Spice can be made of multiple things, chemicals and spices, but they all act like marijuana. For example, plastics can be made up of many different mixtures. Some are mixed into ziplock bags while others become Tupperware but they are all plastics. K2 or Spice is a Synthetic substance that produces the same effect as THC(active component in marijuana). There are also bath salts being sold in many of the same places as spice, bath salts are synthetic cocaine and rapidly becoming illegal along with spice.

Comment

Is there any new information on "legal Spice or K2"? For instance, what the metabolites are and if it is transferred into milk compartment? If a mother tests negative for that specific drug and denies usage, but is suspected of smoking it during pregnancy what are the concerns if she is breastfeeding a healthy term infant? What is the best way to test for use of this drug? (Urine/blood/hair samples) Thank you

Comment

dflohr:

Spice is just a form of a cannabinoid drug. Acts at the same receptors sites at Marijuana. While they are slightly different from delta 9THC, I do not know if they will show up on a preliminary drug screen, but I'm sure they would show up on a mass spectrometry screen.

We are increasingly concerned about the effects on brain wiring in the fetus, and perhaps the newborn infant. Animal studies clearly show that marijuana profounds affects the sensing system in the neurons, which tells them where to to connect during brain growth. Analytical reasoning, such as math, map reading, learning simply analytical chores, may be severely impacted. This new data is very concerning and all pregnant women should be STRONGLY warned to avoid marijuana during pregnancy and during the first year or two of breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

-------------Below is from my current Meds Database --------------------

Breastfeeding...From MMM 2014...

Spice is a new class of designer drugs as an alternative to marijuana, characterized as "legal highs". The psychoactive effects are mainly due to delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol which acts as a full agonist at CB1 receptor in CNS and CB2 receptors in periphery with high affinity for CB1 receptors, however marijuana is only partial agonist at CB1 and CB2 receptors. All of synthetic cannabinoids are lipid-soluble, non-polar, highly volatilized compounds and because they are full agonist and with high affinity for CB1 receptors of brain so they are stronger than marijuana. However some synthetic cannabinoids also show high affinity for CB2 receptors present in spleen,tonsils and immune system so they can affect the immune system.

Tetrahydrocannabinol can accumulate in human breast milk to high concentrations and infants exposed to this milk will excrete THC in their urine, so it can cause sedation and growth delay in infants and a study has shown that THC via breast milk shows signs of sedation, reduced muscular tonus, and poor suckling.[1] THC exposure via milk is associated with a decrease in infant motor development and lower mean psychomotor development. So its consumption during breast feeding is contraindicated according to American Academy of pediatrics.

It is considered that hepatic cytochrome P450 oxidation is followed by glucuronic acid conjugation and renal excretion.

1.Aur?lia Garry, Virginie Rigourd, Ammar Amirouche, Val?rie Fauroux, Sylvie Aubry, and Rapha?l Serreau. Cannabis and Breastfeeding. doi:10.1155/2009/596149.

Pregnancy Risk: from MMM 2014 ........................

There may be an association between prenatal exposure to spice, reflected by increased tremors that were accompanied by exaggerated and prolonged startles or altered sleep patterns in newborns, stress/abstinence signs were found in 1-month-old infants of mothers who used low to moderate amounts of cannabis in pregnancy. Some reports indicate hypertelorism (increased distance between the eyes), severe epicanthus (skin fold of the upper eye lid) and reduced birth weight and body length.[1]

Cannabinoids, the psychoactive ingredients of spice, can cross the placental barrier. This way, cannabinoids are able to affect the expression of key genes for neural development leading to neurotransmitter and behavioral disturbances. Beginning at 3 to four years age children of mothers who used cannabis (spice) heavily during pregnancy have shown deficits in memory, verbal and perceptual skills, and verbal and visual reasoning, impaired performance in verbal and quantitative reasoning and short term memory loss, poor performance on tasks and problem solving, deficits in reading, spelling and achievement. Brain imaging studies show negative impacts on neural circuity involved in cognitive functioning. Children display increased hyperactivity, inattention and impulsivity. So it is contra-indicated in pregnancy.

1.Giovanna Cacciola, Rosanna Chianese, Teresa Chioccarelli, Vincenza Ciaramella 1, Silvia Fasano 1, Riccardo Pierantoni, Rosaria Meccariello and Gilda Cobellis. Cannabinoids and Reproduction: A Lasting and Intriguing History. Pharmaceuticals 2010, 3, 3275-3323; doi:10.3390/ph3103275.

Comment

Working...
            X