Trulicity (dulaglutide) injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trulicity (dulaglutide) injection

I am working with a mother who is trying to relactate. She told me today that her endocrinologist recently started her on Trulicity injections once a week and has told her that the medication is incompatible with breastfeeding because it could lower the blood sugar of her infant. I can't find any information about this medication. I'm wondering since it is given by injection, if it would be bioavailable to her baby, even if it does pass into her breastmilk. Do you have any information about the safety of using this medication while breastfeeding? Thanks!

nyakanyasko,

Trulicity has a large molecular weight of 59669.81 g/mol. The oral bioavailability after a single 0.75 and 1.5mg dose of dulaglutide is 65% and 47% respectively. Trulicity is not recommended in breastfeeding as it could interfere with the infant's insulin production.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Hi Sandra, if the molecular weight is that large, can the medication pass into the mom's breastmilk?

Comment

nyakanyasko,

Yes it is less likely to transfer with a large molecular wt, but almost everything transfers to some degree. Remember Remicade has a molecular wt of 144190.3 g/mol which is more than double the wt of Trulicity and it transfers from 0.32-3.01% of moms dose. So without any research studies we cannot advise on the safety of this medication. Even small amounts may effect the infants insulin production.

Sandra Lovato

Comment

Working...
        X