Is supplementing better when increasing adderall dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is supplementing better when increasing adderall dosage

Hello I have a two-month-old boy who is EBF I currently take 20mg of IR Adderall (10 taken twice daily). I took this during my pregnancy as well with an ok from psychiatrist and OB. I plan on returning to work in the up coming months and need to go back on a higher dosage (30 mg IR) to do my job well and function normally. I have read a lot of these posts and understand it’s a category 3 and about 2-7% transfers into breastmilk and that the dose recommended is 20mg or less. My question is would be better if I used formula for the feeding following my dose? Giving us a longer window for the adderall to decrease? I would love any insight you might have on this. Thank you

Bostonmama,

If your infant is gaining weight and doing well (not symptomatic) on the 20mg a day they will probably transition ok to the 30mg since it is not much higher than the dose you are already on. Your infant has already been exposed to the medication and can become somewhat accustomed to it. We do recommend taking the medication after nursing and waiting 2-3 hours to nurse again. Monitor your infant for agitation, hyperactivity, insomnia, decreased appetite, weight gain, and tremor. If your infant becomes symptomatic we recommend waiting longer to nurse and to supplement some of the feedings.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X