Adhd meds to choose from

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adhd meds to choose from

hi, I have adhd and was ok while pregnant not being on my meds, but now that I am not pregnant I feel like I’m in a fog all the time. I would like to have a list of adhd medications that are considered safe to research with my dr and for me to be informed when I go in to get a new prescription. I would just take my straterra, but there isn’t enough data for me to comfortably take it while breastfeeding my 1 month old. Thanks for any help you can give me. I have been reading the forums, but I am looking for a non-stimulant and preferably a non class-c medication due to family medical history.

Mcase3,

The preferred medication for ADHD would be methylphenidate since less than 1% of your dose transfers into breast milk. There are different trade names for this medication such as Concerta, Ritalin, Daytrana, etc. It is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. Monitor for agitation, irritability, poor sleeping patterns, changes in feeding, poor weight gain.

Low doses of Adderall or Vyvanse are also probably ok if dose is kept at 20mg or less a day, and your infant is not symptomatic. They are both rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. Monitor your infant for agitation, irritability, poor sleeping patterns, changes in feeding, poor weight gain.

Strattera is rated an L4-no data-possibly hazardous. This medication is not recommended.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X