Diovan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diovan

Is there any data on the safety of Diovan while breastfeeding? My son is 11 months old and getting perhaps 25% of his intake from breastmilk. I've been on high doses of Labetalol since I started trying to get pregnant, but I'm tired of the side effects and would like to switch back to Diovan, which worked very well for me in the past. If there is little to no data on Diovan, I'd be interested to know if any other Angiotensin II receptor blockers are considered safe.

Spectatrix,

Diovan is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]While it is believed to enter the milk of rodents, no human data are available. Use with caution in breastfeeding mothers. Both the ACE inhibitor family and the specific Angiotensin II receptor blockers are contraindicated in pregnancy and thus should be used with caution in women who are planning a subsequent pregnancy in the near future. Unfortunately we do not have data on any other angiotension ll receptor blockers, the medications listed as alternatives are ace inhibitors such as captopril and enalapril. Ace inhibitors and angiotension ll receptor blockers should be used with caution in premature infants because of the risk of renal toxicity, but your infant is older and this should not be a problem as long as the infant is not symptomatic. Monitor the infant for d[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]rowsiness, lethargy, pallor, poor feeding and weight gain.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Enalapril is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.07-0.2% of your dose. Monitor the infant for drowsiness, lethargy, pallor, poor feeding and weight gain.

Captopril is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. the amount transferred is 0.02% of your dose. Monitor for drowsiness, lethargy, pallor, poor feeding and weight gain.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center[/FONT][/COLOR]
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X