Hydromet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydromet

Is hydromet safe for a nursing 10 month old short term? I am not so concerned about the hydrocodone portion. I do not know anything about homatropine, however. This would be taken for a terrible cough, only at night, at least 8 hours before the baby nursed again. Specifically, I am curious about homatropine's half-life, how much transfers to milk and if it would have any short or long-term affects on baby if used for a few days.

Hi, thanks for your post.

I can't find any papers that discuss the half-life or milk distribution of homatropine. I expect this drug to behave similarly to atropine, which has a half-life of 4 hours and minimal presence in milk. Watch your baby for sedation (not waking up for feedings), dry mouth, constipation, and urinary retention. These are all established side effects of atropine-like drugs, but I don't seriously expect you to have any problems considering how little of this drug the baby is likely to get through the milk. There are no long-term effects of this drug class that I am aware of.

Please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X