Prozac and Ativan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prozac and Ativan

I have a 3 month old infant. I have been EBF since birth. I am going though PPD and having difficulty finding meds that work for me. I'm having a lot of OCD obsessive thoughts, anxiety, and depression. I tried Zoloft but had bad side effects. I've been on lexapro 5 mg and Ativan 1mg 2-3 times a day for a month. Dr tried to increase lexapro to 10 mg but I was overstimulated and anxiety increased. I'm currently starting 10 mg Prozac with Ativan 1mg 2-3x a day. I am to take it with the dose of Prozac and for sleeping at night and during afternoon if needed. My baby is 3 months 17 pounds and has never shown signs of sedation or any side effects from previous meds. If I tolerate 10 mg she wants to increase the Prozac to a tolerable level and continue the Ativan. Is it safe to breastfeed my baby? Thank you for your help. I really don't want to stop breastfeeding.

Dschex,

Prozac is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 1.6-14.6% of your dose. The normal adult dose is 20-60mg a day. If your infant is not symptomatic we would suggest it is safe to continue breastfeeding, Monitor for sedation or irritability, poor feedings, and poor weight gain.

Ativan is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.6-2.9% of your dose. As long as your infant is tolerating this medication it is probably ok to continue to breastfeed. We would recommend not exceeding the dose you are currently on at this time. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, poor feedings and poor weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Is 3 mg Ativan a day too much? Should I try to decrease? And is 60 mg Prozac still ok or too high to BF? Thank you!!

Comment

Dschex,

Prozac 60mg in a normal dose range as long as the infant is not symptomatic probably ok.

Ativan ok as long as the baby is not symptomatic, normal dose can be up to 1mg 1-3 times a day.

Sandra Lovato

Comment

My ortho Dr just prescribed 800 mg ibuprofen for back pain 3 times a day. Is this ok to take while breastfeeding along with the Prozac and Ativan? Thank you!!
          Last edited by Dschex; 02-16-2017, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X