Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mom on Keppra, appropriate galactogogues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom on Keppra, appropriate galactogogues?

Baby is 2 weeks old and mom's milk supply is suppressed. She is on 4000 mg of Keppra, was on 3000 for majority of pregnancy but had a seizure at 38 weeks. What approach would be safe for this mom? is domperidone appropriate, would it interfere with the Keppra? she's on delayed release Keppra. Thank you in advance.

Betsy,

I spoke with Dr Hale about this, he could not find any contraindications with Keppra and domperidone. We do recommend only using it at 10mg TID for a month and then tapering down by 10mg a week until off the medication. If you are unable to get the domperidone we would recommend the same dose of Reglan at 10mg TID for a month and tapering by 10mg a week provided mom does not have a history of depression.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

I should have asked more questions

I wonder if any other galactogogues would be contraindicated, specifically, goat's rue, shatavari, or malunggay, if Dr. Hale has an opinion on any of those or not.

Comment

Betsy:

I'd be particularly cautious using other herbals, as no one knows what they do the anticonvulsant blood levels. Could lead to a seizures.

This is a particularly unstudied area, and seizure disorders are hazardous to play around with.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
        X