Lovenox and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovenox and breastfeeding

I found out about this site on a moms supporting moms facebook page and was told this is a great resource for answers regarding my question. I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and have been on Lovenox since around week 8. I have Factor II and Factor V Leiden which is why I need to be on the Lovenox both during the pregnancy and 6 weeks after. I would like to breastfeed and was curious if it is safe to do so while being on the Lovenox. I have discussed this with my OB, Hemotologist, and high risk doctor and all have said that some studies will show it is safe while other studies have shown not to breastfeed while on blood thinners. So I was advised to ask my pediatrician(who I will meet in two weeks) So I was curious if anyone has any information or advice regarding this topic. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi, thanks for your post.

Lovenox (enoxaparin) is highly unlikely to cause problems in a nursing infant. This is a very large molecule that will have substantial difficulty getting into milk. The small amount of drug that the baby swallows is likely to be destroyed by stomach acids rather than absorbed. Enoxaparin is a protein and proteins generally do not survive the stomach; that's why there is no pill form of Lovenox on the market. One study on enoxaparin and multiple papers on related drugs (heparin and dalteparin) have borne out this theory. Of all the drugs that you could call "blood thinners" this one is probably the safest.

For anyone reading this, please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center, (806)352-2519, if this has not completely answered your question. I would also appreciate you filling out a 2 minute survey about your time on the forum:

https://tthsclubbock.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJzhyKVSivVkQZL&Counselor=Web

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X