Levofloxacin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levofloxacin

I was prescribed levofloxacin for a complicated UTI that is resistant to other antibiotics (macrobid, rocephin) I was wondering if it would be safe to continue breastfeeding while taking this medication? The doctor that prescribed it says no, my LC says it's an L2 drug and is probably safe but I wanted to get one more opinion before starting. The dosage is 750mg for 5 days. My thoughts were to take it right after my baby's last feeding for the night and resume feeding in the morning after his usual 10 hour sleep schedule to decrease the amount he was getting during the day when he nurses more often.

Hi, thanks for your post.

I like that plan. Waiting 10 hours cuts your baby's exposure by at least 50%. Accounting for that delay, your baby would be getting no more than 60mg of levofloxaxin through the milk. This medication is prescribed directly to babies at doses of up to 500mg. Rarely, levofloxacin can cause diarrhea, rashes, or thrush infections in babies, so keep an eye out for that. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Levofloxacin 500 mg for 7 days

I have been battling a sinus and ear infection for more than two weeks. I already completed 10 days of Augmentin and a medrol pack. My physician has prescribed 500mg levofloxacin for seven days. My infant daughter is 8.5 months and doesn't typically go longer than 4 hours at night between nursing sessions. I do pump for her during the day while she's at daycare and have a frozen stash I can draw from to feed her if I need a longer stretch.

Can you please advise if it can take the levofloxacin and if so, is it better to take the levofloxacin at night in hopes we have a longer stretch or if I should take it in the morning and pump as usual or if I should pull milk for her daytime feedings from the freezer to get a longer stretch. My infant has been also battling an ear infection and just finished her own dosage of amoxicillin.

Comment

VSE, you should be able to breastfeed without restriction while taking the levofloxacin. Your baby will be getting only a small dose of the antibiotic and the potential side effects at that dose are much less than what we would expect from her full dose of amoxicillin.

Comment

Working...
        X