Sivextro Tedizolid and Teflaro Ceftaroline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sivextro Tedizolid and Teflaro Ceftaroline

Hello! I've been prescribed with Ceftaroline Teflaro 600mg through intravenous drip twice a day and Sivextro Tedizolid 200mg orally once a day. I was wondering if it's safe for me to breastfeed my son. Thank you very much!
    Starts
    11-15-2017
    Ends
    11-15-2017
    Last edited by babymarian; 11-15-2017, 09:08 AM.

babymarian,

How old is you baby and how long do you have to on theses meds.

Sandra

Comment

Hello Sandra! My son is 26 months old. He drinks around 17oz of expressed breastmilk per day. I will be on Ceftaroline Teflaro for 4 days and Sivextro Tedizolid for 3 days.
      Last edited by babymarian; 11-15-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

babymarian,

The Teflaro (ceftaroline) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. This medication is a fifth generation cephalosporin. Most cephalosporins are safe in breastfeeding, especially an older infant. If has a short half-life of about 2.6 hours, so I recommend pumping or feeding right before your dose, and waiting about 3 hours to nurse after the infusion is complete. Monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

The Sivextro (tedizolid) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. This is a new oxazolidinone antibiotic. " At this time there are no data regarding the transfer of tedizolid into human milk. Based on this medications small volume of distribution and longer half-life some medication is expected to enter human milk." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). This medication peaks or is most concentrated in the milk in the first 3 hours after a dose and has a half-life of 12 hours. I recommend taking it right after you breastfeed and waiting 3 or more hours to nurse. Your infant is older and since you are only on the medication for 3 days it is probably ok. Monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X