Brestfeeding and cosentyx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brestfeeding and cosentyx

Hi, I have a 3 weeks old baby. My psoriasis flare up and my dermatologist offered cosentyx-since I've failed on enbrel and stellara.
    Do you have any information regarding this drug? I know it has a high molecular weight-but my dermatologist was concerned about the high loading dose.
    i was brestfeeding on stellara before and the baby didn't have any symptoms.
    what do you recommend? When does the baby's kidney and liver function better? Should I wait a few more weeks?( please be specific)
    thank you
    Neta

Netaf,

We do not have any data concerning the use of Cosentyx (secukinumab) in breastfeeding mothers. This medication has a very large molecular weight of 147.94 kg/mol, so the size alone would largely preclude its's entry into breast milk. We think it may be ok to take while breastfeeding as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor for fever, frequent infections, poor feedings and weight gain. Dr Hale believes the risk are low, but there are no long term data concerning the safety of using immune modulating medications in breastfeeding mothers. Current data suggest that other monoclonal antibody drugs do transfer into milk, and perhaps the breastfed infant. Each woman should understand the benefits and risk of using this type of medication in lactation.

See website below:

[url]http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/principles-of-drug-treatment-in-children/pharmacokinetics-in-children[/url]

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X