Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Celebrex "build up" over time in your milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Celebrex "build up" over time in your milk?

My doctor recently put me on 200 mg twice a day of Celebrex. However, I have only been taking it once a day, as this dosage has been helping me significantly and I am also trying to minimize my son's exposure to the drug via my breastmilk. My son is 15 months and almost 23 pounds. Before starting it, I was assured by several sources that it is reasonably safe for breastfeeding and that it is a category L2.

However, I was reading on the AAP's website which states that some NSAIDs (they mention Naproxen) can build up in milk (and in the infant) over time due to their long half-lives. I know that Naproxen is an L3, and that it has a half-life of 12-15 hours. I also know that Celebrex's half-life is about 11 hours, which is only slightly shorter than Naproxen. My question is then - does Celebrex have the potential to build up over time in my son's system?

I want to stay on this drug since it is helping my pain, but I am concerned about the drug's long-term effects for him.

maymiecat,

​Celebrex is probably ok, only 0.3-0.7% of your dose transfers into breast milk, your infant is older and not receiving as much milk as say a newborn would receive. Half of the dose will be out of your system before you take another dose. Monitor the infant for vomiting and diarrhea.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

I was wondering more about long term effects versus short term but thank you
      Last edited by maymiecat; 04-06-2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Celebrex is generally well tolerated. It has a lower incidence of stomach side effects than other anti inflammatory drugs, although this medicine can cause stomach bleeding. If you drink alcohol on a daily basis, do not take this medicine without first discussing it with your doctor. Alcohol use combined with this medicine may increase your risk for stomach bleeding.

The most frequent side effects that may occur while taking this medicine include headache, diarrhea, indigestion, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The following adverse reactions are listed for Celebrex along with the percentage of patients who experience that side effect:
        • Headaches: 10% to 16%
        • Hypertension: 13%
        • Diarrhea: 4% to 11%
        • Nausea: 4% to 9%
        • Dyspepsia (indigestion or upset stomach): 9%
        • Fever: 9%
        • Abdominal pain: 4% to 8%
        • Arthralgia (pain in a joint or joints): 7%
        • Cough: 7%
        • Vomiting: 6%
        • Gastroesophageal reflux: 5%
        • Sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses): 5%
        • Accidental injury: 3%
        • Back pain: 3%
        • Dizziness: 1% to 2%
        • Flatulence (passing gas): 2%
        • Insomnia: 2%
        • Peripheral edema (swelling): 2%
        • Pharyngitis (sore or raw throat): 2%
        • Rhinitis (inflammation of the mucous membrane lining the nose): 2%
        • Skin rash: 2%

If your side effects continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. Fluid retention, constipation and hair loss have also been reported.

Diverticulitis has been linked to the use of Celebrex in a small percentage of cases. The chances of this side effect increase for people who are over 60 years old, have been taking the drug for 1 to 6 months, also take Lipitor, and/or have Hypertension.

Comment

Take this as a warning, FIFA fans: be as careful as possible with your copies of the gameAs a nation of gamers tries to deal with the giddy excitement of FIFA 16s release, it feels as if nothing can stem the tide of pure joy at the prospect of finally playing the new edition of the game. For most people, thats certainly the case - if they havent already got their hands on FIFA 16 theyll be spiriting a copy home with them as soon as possible. However, theres one fan whos excitement has just died a terrible death. As far as this gentleman is concerned, the long-awaited release of the game has turned truly tragic. Faint-hearted FIFA fan? Look away now. The gent, whom we shall call Karl, rushed home from work to play his pre-ordered game. Stepping through his front door, he was confronted by a horrifying scene - his dog had absolutely savaged the box and disc in a fit of [url=http://www.fifaeasy.com/]Fifa 17 Coins[/url] fury. Great details in online, and for more reading now!

Comment

Working...
          X