Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cimzia

Hi,
    I have ankylosing spondylitis and have been prescribed cimzia. 6 weeks ago I gave birth to a 29 week baby boy who is currently in the nicu. My body is flaring really bad and I don't know what to do, if I should take cimzia or not. I know that is "most likely" safe but I am hesitant to take chances with my son in the nicu. Please let me know or if there is something else I could take that would be safer. Thanks

Sara

Chachamcmuff,

Cimza (certolizumab) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. No human studies have been done but animal studies have shown minimal transfer of certolizumab into milk and no antibodies were detected in the nursing pups. The molecular weight of this product is large and it is not likely to transfer into milk except maybe in the colostrum phase. I spoke with Dr Hale he advised this is probably a good choice for you since he thinks it will have minimal transfer. Monitor the infant for fever, weight gain, frequent infections. Dr Hale is going to begin research on this medication if you would be willing to participate in the study please contact the InfantRisk Center.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X