Oxycodone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxycodone

I had a surgery go terribly wrong last year. Due to new injuries, my dose of mediation has increased. I take a total of 30 mg of oxycodone, spread out over a 12 hour period. (2 tablets every 4-5 hours)

Can I continue to nurse my 8 week old, now that my doctor has increased my dose?

I have the same question

Comment

Mamaof5,

This states the mother is taking 30mg over a 12 hour span and is breastfeeding a 2 month old, so logic would say she is taking 60mg in 24 hours which we do not recommend this high of dose. We recommend you do not exceed 30-40mg in 24 hours, and to wait about 3-4 hours after a dose to breastfeed (depending how much you are taking at one time). Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, poor feedings, poor weight gain, constipation and apnea.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
      InfantRisk Center
      806-352-2519

Comment

I do not take any meds from 7 pm to 7 am. I take 1 to 1 and a half at 7 or 730 am another 1 or 1.5 at 1pm. And then another at 6pm. And I breastfeed after 2 to 3 hours. If she needs to nurse before then I give a bottle. Do I have to pump and dump?

Comment

Mamaof5,

What is your dose of oxycodone and how old is your infant?

Sandra Lovato

Comment

10mg. Hydro or oxycodone. And my infant is 4.5 months. And I used this same med during pregnancy if not more due too hydonephrosis and a nephostomy tube. Now I have fibro and chronic kidney stones.

Comment

Mamaof5,

If you are taking 15mg twice a day and 10mg once a day you are at the upper limit of 40mg a day, but still ok as long as your infant is not symptomatic, watch for sedation, slowed breathing rate, poor feedings, poor weight gain, constipation and apnea. I would wait at least 4 hours to nurse at the doses you are taking at one time.

Sandra Lovato

Comment

Thank you. I do not take 1.5 all the time. Just when it's unbearable. The baby is doing very well

Comment

Mamaof5,

Ok good.

Comment

Working...
                  X