Sertraline level in milk by time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sertraline level in milk by time

When is the amount of Sertraline lowest in breast milk after the ingestion? I know that the amount found in breast milk is minimal, but it is still a concern for me and would like to minimize the amount in the the milk as much as I can. I saw in another post that the concentration of sertraline peaked in the milk at 7-8 hours the concentration of sertraline peaked in the milk at 7-8 hours. If I want to minimize the amount of sertraline in the milk, when should I take the medication? I usually nurse in the morning and bedtime (6:30am and 7:30 pm).
    Starts
    03-21-2017
    Ends
    03-21-2017
    Last edited by Str51; 03-21-2017, 11:08 PM.

Str51,

Sertraline does peak at 7-8 hours, but has a half-life of 26 hours. You will take your next dose before half the medication is out of your system this is how these medications work so you do not have peaks and valleys, but a level or steady state. It does not matter when you take this medication in reference to when you breastfeed.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thanks for your reply, but I don't quite understand. If Sertraline peak at 7-8 hours, isn't there a time the level gets lower? Since half life is 26 hours, I realize that the lowest is half. It seems like it matters when you take it if it peaks at 7-8 hours (I want to avoid nursing around 7-8 hours later).

Comment

Helpful information. Thanks very much!

Comment

In a pooled analysis of serum levels from published studies and 4 unpublished cases, the authors found that 15 mothers taking an average daily dosage of 83 mg (range 25 to 200 mg) had an average breastmilk sertraline level of 45 mcg/L (range 7 to 207 mcg/L).[1] Using the average dosage and milk level data from this paper, an exclusively breastfed infant would receive an estimated 0.5% of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage of sertraline.

Comment

Working...
          X