No announcement yet.

breastfeeding on remicade (infliximab)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breastfeeding on remicade (infliximab)

Hello,
    I just have a few questions about breasfeeding while on remicade. I am a 30 year old and this is my first pregnancy. I received my last remicade at 24 weeks and I am currently 33 weeks and I won't receive another dose until after I give birth. My question is should I pump and discard my milk after I receive my injection? and if so for how long should i do this until i can breastfeed again.

I have read I should pump and discard for 4 days after I give birth because of the colostrum phase, does this mean we supplement with formula for this time? Subsequently what about later on injections?

Thank you

Hi,

During the colostrum phase, the milk compartment is wide open and will allow the Rimicade to pass into your breastmilk. If you are given the Rimicade right after birth, then you should pump and discard your milk until you have a full supply of milk (usually 5-7 days). After you have a good supply of milk, the milk compartment closes. The size (molecular weight) of Rimicade is large and probably unable to enter the milk compartment, so at that time you could begin to breastfeed.

There is no need to pump and discard your milk when you get the Remicade injections after your milk has been well established.

You might check with the physician and ask if they can wait to give you an injecion of Remicade until about two weeks after the birth of the baby. Then you could breastfeed, even during the colostrum period, without inturruption. If this is not possible, as discussed above, you would need to pump and discard your breastmilk until you have a full supply of milk (5-7 days). During this time the infant could be given donor breastmilk (if available) or a hydrolyzed formula.

If you have any further questions, please call us at the InfantRisk Center, 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm CDT

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    InfantRisk Center, TTUHSC

Comment

Working...
    X