Formula Choice for Breastfeeding Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formula Choice for Breastfeeding Babies

I'm not sure this is an appropriate query for this venue, but as I am receiving limited input from other sources, I'm going to throw it out there and see...

I live and practice (as an IBCLC and an RN) in a relatively small town. Our facility, even though it has a Level II NICU, does not stock donor milk. All babies are supplemented with formula, and considering the dismal state of our lactation support program, I almost literally mean ALL. I'm doing everything I can to change that, but I just became an IBCLC in October 2014 and no one is really listening at this point.

My question, is there a better choice among commercially available formulas for otherwise healthy babies? Older research indicates a predilection toward hydrolyzed protein formulas, but in badgering an answer out of an respected expert in neonatal nutrition, it seems there is little difference in opinion now.

This is not really our area of expertise. I advise that you look into Dr. Ekhard Zeigler's work. He is one of the most respected names in the field of pediatric nutrition. You can find some of his lectures on YouTube and his scholarly works are indexed on Pubmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Ziegler+EE%5BAuthor%5D

I hope you find it helpful.
    -James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X