Please help- Nexium and Zoloft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help- Nexium and Zoloft

I have an exclusively breastfed 3 month old (3rd baby). After my last pregnancy I took 50 mg of Zoloft and 40 mg of nexium twice a day for several months due to anxiety and severe reflux during pregnancy (I am normally on 40 mg of nexium per day and have been for years including during pregnancy). It seems the safety of nexium may have changed since my last two pregnancies? Is the safety of nexium or Zoloft changed due to any drug interaction with each other? There used to be a post on these forums about taking 40mg of nexium 2x per day postpartum and it appears it's been deleted, wondering if this was intentional. Thank you!

Tucker84:

There is no contraindication for using Nexium or Zoloft in a breastfeeding mother. Nexium is a very unstable drug, that even if it entered milk, would be destroyed in the infant's stomach. It is very unstable at a pH less than pH=4.

As for Zoloft, it is commonly used by breastfeeding mothers and all the current studies to date show no neurobehavioural complications in a breastfed infant.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X