Breastfeeding on Methadone/Buspar/Clonidine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding on Methadone/Buspar/Clonidine

Hello, i have nursed my son for the last 2 years and slowly tapered down from 90mg of methadone to my current dose of 7mgs. my anxiety has gotten very bad so my doctor prescribed me buspar and clonodine to assist in my final tapering. can you tell me if it is safe for me to continue nursing on the methadone(7mg/once a day) with the addition of Buspar (5mg/twice daily) and extended release clonodine at the lowest dose. Thank you.

chris56,

Buspar is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. We do not know how much transfers into breast milk, but several properties of this medication suggest it would be minimal such as high protein binding, short half-life (2-3 hours), a large volume of distribution, low oral bioavailability (1%), and minimally active metabolites. We suggest taking it after breastfeeding when you have about a 2-3 hour break before feeding again then monitor your infant for behavioral changes, feeding problems and weight gain.

Clonidine is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 0.9-7.1% of your dose. Your infant is older and at a low dose is less likely to be affected, monitor your infant for drowsiness, lethargy, pallor, dry mouth, poor feeding, constipation and weight gain; may reduce milk production by reducing prolactin secretion.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X